Sunday, May 24, 2009

Protest walk





I invited some 25 persons to join me; I finally made it alone.

Mauritius is a free country isn’t it.

Since it was an apolitical gathering I feel free to estimate the number of participants to around 1500 – 2000. Yes, guys that’s all taking into consideration the number of inhabitants of the relevant regions. The chimney of the incinerator we were told would be 89 mts high and it is expected that people situated within 40kms around its site are likely to be affected by the gas emission.

Why do so little people feel concerned. Ten years back all sorts of guarantees were given by government to people of Mare Chicose, today these people are being relocated to other places because of this project being a massive flop. Can we people sit while danger is so close? I just want to understand why Christophe came all the way from Curepipe, why ecological movements from the south of Mauritius made the trip while on the other side none of my neighbors made it. God knows that we are located only 10kms away from the site.

Can someone please explain to me why?

I guess that’s Mauritius and its people docile et admirable.

Dario

2 comments:

  1. I believe that there many people including myself who are very much aware of this environmental danger, may be we are passive, have been passive up to now... But, I have the faith that they will voice out soon... Actions will follow after the thoughts ... God will help in this fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    Cheap flights to Japan |
    Cheap flights to China |
    Cheap flights to Manila |

    ReplyDelete